Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Shoulda put a ring on it

Yesterday I spent my ten minute walk home listening to "Single Ladies" by my girl, Beyonce. And man, was I feeling it.




My recent move to a new city has involved a lot of new experiences:



People I've met from Craigslist and Match.com (ahhh the Internet) : 2



Plus there was a date with a stranger who solicited me for my e-mail in a park and then asked for my number.



I feel like there's more allowance for anonymity in this city, especially compared to my small college town. So, I take risks. I meet people because there's a lot more of them. I employ the internet if the person seems neat.



So far, it's been lukewarm. After I got back from Europe (almost two months ago) I decided to keep the momentum of people-meeting going by signing up for Match.com I figured it'd be a good way to meet some interesting people (which is equivalent to having funny stories that friends will howl over in the future).



Solicitor boy from the park was sweet. He was harmless, bubbly, and more extroverted than I could ever hope/want to be. Probably explains how he gets the balls to ask girls out in parks. But anyway. We went to a jazz club and off of a musical high, I deemed him dateworthy. There were a few hangups, like the part-time soliciation job, the lack of a college education at 26, and the heavy pot-smoking. But hey, I chalked these up to unnecessary societal expectations and and considered myself immune to them.



Long story short, we hung out a few times and in one instance, he came over and got super high with my neighbor. And then asked for food and then criticized my baking by saying the cupcakes were way too sweet. Occasional high as long as it doesn't impede on your life goals? I can handle that. Getting stoned off your ass to the point of stupidity? Not cool, dude. I spent the rest of the evening feeling like I was around a little kid. Oof.



Last night I finally met a guy from match, who happened to be the ex-boyfriend of my ex-boyfriend's sister. Huh. Anyway, he was nice. He was smart (has a MBA). And besides the occasional glimpse of attitude, he was polite. We ended up at a vegetarian-ish place by my work and lingered a while longer over ice cream. Overall, he was pleasant. He talked a lot about his family, which was endearing. And he's also passionate about coffee roasing, which was a topic I wouldn't normally bring up in conversation. But ah, passion. I learned a bit about coffee and had an ice cream flavor called chazlenut (chai and hazlenut) . He also pointed me in the direction of a grilled cheese restaurant (the idea is you try different cheeses and unique combos for sandwiches) made out of a school bus. So I'll be going there in the near future.



Overall, nice guy. We had a few quality laughs and he has similar interests. But, he freaked out when he heard I was having someone couchsurf, claiming it was just "way too weird" and I got the sense that he's really conservative with his life choices. And there was just no spark there. Sigh. So, good potential for friendship but for the longterm, I'm going to need someone more open-minded.



And so concludes my dating saga thus far. I'm happy that I tried it out and am still willing to keep trying, so that's a good sign. And most of all, I was pretty freaking stoked when "Single Ladies" came on. It reminded me that I'm not willing to settle, not now, not ever--I'm content being with me and just me. Phew!

No comments:

Post a Comment